Lifting weights is often seen as a boring and monotonous activity, reserved for bodybuilders and serious athletes. However, weightlifting can be a fun and engaging form of exercise that offers numerous benefits for both the body and the mind. In this article, we will explore five reasons why lifting weights doesn’t have to be boring, and why it is worth incorporating into your fitness routine.
Why lifting weights doesn’t have to be boring
One reason why some people may think weightlifting is boring is because traditional bodybuilding routines often consist of set after set of the same exercise, with little variation or variation.
This can lead to a lack of variety and excitement in the workout, making it feel repetitive and dull.
Additionally, weightlifting can be a solitary activity, with many people choosing to lift weights alone instead of participating in group fitness classes or team sports. This lack of social interaction can also contribute to the perception of weightlifting as a boring activity.
Finally, some people may be intimidated by the weight room, feeling like they don’t belong or that they are not fit enough to lift weights. This fear of the unknown can prevent them from trying weightlifting and experiencing the benefits it has to offer. They may write it off as a boring activity rather than address their deeper insecurities.
Weightlifting doesn’t have to be boring because it is a versatile and customizable form of exercise that can be adapted to fit individual preferences and goals.
By incorporating variety into your weightlifting routine, you can keep your workouts interesting and engaging.
Furthermore, weightlifting has been shown to have numerous mental and emotional benefits, such as improved mood and increased confidence. These benefits can make weightlifting a rewarding and enjoyable activity, even if you are lifting weights alone.
Weightlifting can also be a social activity, with many people choosing to lift weights with friends or join group fitness classes. This can add a social element to your workouts and make them more fun and enjoyable.
So there are many reasons to change your perspective when it comes to weight lifting. if you’re still not convinced then keep reading as we delve a little deeper into the benefits of weightlifting.
The benefits of weightlifting and how it can keep you engaged
Weightlifting offers numerous benefits for both the body and the mind. Regular weightlifting can help to increase muscle strength and improve overall fitness, leading to improved health and reduced risk of chronic diseases. It can also help to improve bone density, reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
In addition to these physical benefits, weightlifting has been shown to have numerous mental and emotional benefits. Regular weightlifting has been linked to improved mood, increased confidence, and reduced stress and anxiety. This can make weightlifting an enjoyable and rewarding activity, even if you are lifting weights alone.
One way to keep weightlifting engaging is to incorporate variety into your routine. This can mean trying new exercises, using different weights and equipment, or changing up your workout routine. By doing this, you can prevent your workouts from becoming monotonous and keep yourself motivated to continue lifting weights.
Another way to keep weightlifting engaging is to set goals for yourself, such as increasing the amount of weight you can lift or achieving a certain number of reps. Having specific goals and keeping a written log of your achievements can give you a sense of accomplishment and make your workouts more meaningful.
Incorporating variety into your weightlifting routine
One way to incorporate variety into your weightlifting routine is to alternate between traditional bodybuilding-style workouts and CrossFit-style workouts in the same week.
This can help to keep your workouts interesting and prevent them from becoming monotonous.
By mixing up your routine, you can challenge your muscles in different ways and prevent plateaus in your progress. Additionally, this approach can help to prevent boredom and keep you motivated to continue lifting weights.
Again, borrowing from CrossFit, “Every minute on the minute” (EMOM) workouts are a type of training protocol that can help to prevent monotony in your weightlifting routine.
In an EMOM workout, you perform a certain number of reps of an exercise within a minute, and then rest for the remainder of the minute.
For example, you might perform 8 reps of a particular exercise and then rest for the remaining 52 seconds of the minute. This type of workout is repeated for a set number of minutes, typically ranging from 10-20 minutes.
One reason why EMOM workouts can prevent monotony is that they provide a structured and challenging workout format. By performing a specific number of reps within a minute, you are forced to work at a certain pace and intensity, which can make your workouts more engaging and exciting.
Additionally, EMOM workouts often involve performing a variety of exercises within the same workout, which can add further variety and prevent boredom.
EMOM workouts can be customized to fit your individual fitness level and goals, making them a versatile and adaptable workout option.
The mental benefits of weightlifting and how it can improve your mood
Exercise, including weightlifting, has been shown to have numerous positive effects on the brain.
Regular physical activity has been linked to increased production of chemicals in the brain, such as endorphins, dopamine, and serotonin, which are associated with improved mood and reduced stress.
Exercise has also been shown to stimulate the growth of new brain cells, a process known as neurogenesis, which can improve brain function and mental clarity.
In addition, exercise has been shown to improve cognitive function, including memory, attention, and decision-making. This can help to prevent boredom and keep you engaged in your workouts.
By rewiring your brain through regular exercise, you can improve your mood, focus, and overall mental health, which can make weightlifting a more enjoyable and rewarding activity.
Tips for making weightlifting more fun and enjoyable
So let’s turn this into a list of our ten top tips for keeping your training sessions fresh and exciting:
- Set specific goals for yourself, such as increasing the amount of weight you can lift or achieving a certain number of reps. Having specific goals can give you a sense of accomplishment and make your workouts more meaningful.
- Incorporate variety into your weightlifting routine. This can mean trying new exercises, using different weights and equipment, or changing up your workout routine. By doing this, you can prevent your workouts from becoming monotonous and keep yourself motivated to continue lifting weights.
- Try “every minute on the minute” (EMOM) workouts, which involve performing a set number of reps of an exercise within a minute and then resting for the remainder of the minute. This type of workout can be challenging and engaging, and can help to prevent boredom.
- Lift weights with a friend or join a group fitness class. This can add a social element to your workouts and make them more enjoyable.
- Listen to music or podcasts while you lift weights. This can help to keep you entertained and engaged during your workouts.
- Keep track of your progress and celebrate your accomplishments. This can help to motivate you and keep you motivated to continue lifting weights.
- Set a schedule for your weightlifting workouts and stick to it. This can help to prevent you from skipping workouts and keep you on track with your fitness goals.
- Try different weightlifting programs and styles to find what works best for you. This can help to prevent boredom and keep you engaged in your workouts.
- Focus on the mental and emotional benefits of weightlifting, such as improved mood and reduced stress. This can help to make weightlifting a rewarding and enjoyable activity.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment and try new things in your weightlifting routine. This can help to prevent boredom and keep you engaged in your workouts.
Lifting Weights: Anything But Boring
So, the next time you think that lifting weights is boring, just remember: it’s actually a thrilling adventure that will help you look and feel your best. Plus, with all the cool exercises and equipment out there, and workouts structured around and EMOM pattern, there’s no reason to ever be bored in the gym again!
If however, you’d prefer to follow along with a workout video, then that’s fine, providing that you’ve got the right video. We can help with that: check out our review of a unique exercise program that delivers results in as little as 15 minutes per day. 15 minutes? You won’t even have chance to get bored!